Randy has been practicing law for over 20 years. During that time, he worked as a litigator at two of the largest international law firms in the United States after being a partner in a medium-sized litigation firm. Randy is known for his ability to help navigate complex legal issues and reach favorable resolutions for his clients through trial, arbitration, summary judgments, and settlements. Randy has handled hundreds of lawsuits in state and federal courts around the country for Fortune 500 companies, small companies and individuals.
Randy joined Greathouse Holloway McFadden Trachtenberg in an effort to better serve clients by providing top-notch legal services in a manner that doesn’t fit the billable hour driven business model that is always present in the large firm environment. Randy prides himself in providing sound, prudent counseling to clients facing difficult – and sometimes “bet the company” decisions and vigorously defends their interests when they find themselves in litigation.
Randy regularly counsels employers regarding labor and employment matters and litigates employment disputes on behalf of employers. Randy has handled commercial litigation matters involving contract disputes, claims of breach of fiduciary duty, trade secrets, covenants not to compete, insurance disputes and various other complex business litigation matters. In fact, he has handled complex commercial, construction, employment, consumer, toxic tort and other litigation in the energy, healthcare, ATM, alternative fuels, agrochemicals, medical supply, insurance, engineering, staffing, retail, software, banking and many other industries. Randy’s diverse litigation background enables him to provide counseling and litigation expertise in a broad range of litigation and other matters.
Representative prior matters include:
· Obtained injunctive relief and ultimately a favorable outcome on behalf of one of the largest oilfield supply companies in the United States in a lawsuit against a competitor that involved allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty and tortious interference.
· Represented one of the world’s top-five largest insurance brokers in a dispute where the plaintiff alleged over $30 million in damages based on allegations of negligence, breach of contract, design defects and construction defects.
· Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit on behalf of an employer wherein a former employee was alleging discrimination and retaliation claims.
· Obtained summary judgment and a large attorneys’ fees award on behalf of an individual in the medical sales business that generated a seven-figure amount of annual sales, wherein his former employer, a subsidiary of a multi-billion dollar company, claimed he misappropriated trade secrets among other allegations.
· Consulted in the drafting of an employment agreement on behalf of a high-level executive wherein over $17 million in stock awards was involved.
· Obtained injunctive relief and ultimately a favorable outcome on behalf of a very large software company in a case against a competitor that involved allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, employee theft, breach of fiduciary duty and tortious interference.
· Represented a family in a parental rights appeal to the Texas Supreme Court and ultimately prevailed when the Texas Supreme Court denied the appellant’s petition for review.
· Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of one of the world’s largest staffing companies against a competitor in a lawsuit involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets and a breach of a noncompetition agreement by a former employee.
· Obtained a favorable outcome on behalf of a large insurance company in a multi-million dollar lawsuit that involved allegations of insurance fraud.
· Represented a company that acted as a purchasing agent in a lawsuit involving the taxability of hundreds of millions of dollars in property.
J.D., University of Houston Law Center (2001)
B.S., Texas A&M University (1997)
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Western, Northern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
State Courts in Texas and Mississippi
State Bar of Texas
State Bar of Mississippi
Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
Federal Bar Association
Houston Bar Association
Austin Bar Association
Williamson County Bar Association
Waco-McLennan County Bar Association
Corpus Christi Bar Association
Texas State Society
Recent Presentations and Publications
Co-Author, “Don’t Let Employee Social Media Posts Sack Your Business” LinkedIn (2018)
Co-Author, “Litigating Trade Secrets Disputes in 2017 and Beyond,” Austin Bench Bar Conference (2017) and McLennan County Bar Association (2017)
Webinar Presentation: “Protecting Trade Secrets and Other Intellectual Property in Business Transactions” (2014)
"Texas Trade Secrets Decision Helps Energy Companies," Law 360 (2014)
Presentation to In-House Counsel: “Trade Secrets, IP and Your Employees” (2012)